Thursday 14 June 2018

SHORT STORY: "A Flock of Angels" by Mary Drabbe


Well, my life is never dull. Yesterday at about ten in the morning, I was no more than three minutes from home in my car when I was stopped by the traffic lights. There was one car in front of me.
I heard a thud followed by another. It was a smash-and-grab attack. A grubby little fellow was hammering away at the passenger window with a spark plug. As my windows have a protective shield he could not break through so he eventually pushed in the entire window. He came right through into the car and of course was going for my handbag which was at my feet. I hit him twice on the nose but he eventually grabbed my bag and was gone. Obviously fuelled by adrenalin, he scaled a garden wall. By then cars had stopped and pedestrians who had witnessed the attack, came to my aid. The man in the car in the lane next to me (funny, I remember it was a red Volkswagen and that he had highly polished black pointed shoes), was the first to react and he rushed to where the criminal had climbed over the wall. He was joined by a bunch of men from the back of a garden- service bakkie.
            At that stage I was shaking with shock and rage. My bag… well you all know it holds much of one’s life. A lady who works at a business nearby, came and took me into her arms and although I thought I might smother in her bosom, that embrace is what held me together. So many cars had stopped and pedestrians and workers had all gathered to see how they could help. Never say South Africans turn away and won’t get involved. Rodney, the red VW owner, came around the corner with my bag held above his head in victory. My relief was indescribable. All but a few hundred rand was there. Apparently he was stuffing notes into his mouth when they apprehended him.
            The thief was brought back by about six men and tied to a tree. The rope was supplied by a homeless man!
            The local Lynnwood security, Brinant, arrived followed by the cops from Garsfontein station. They took my statement and the criminal was tossed into the police van. The lady, my hugging friend, said, “I do not see colour, I see victims, we must all stand together and show that every decent person is gatvol of crime.” Bravo, Bali!


            What was a very traumatic situation turned into a positive show of togetherness - touching and somewhat amusing - only because it turned out so well for me.

*  *  *

            It turns out angels don’t always wear white celestial nighties and sport huge white feathery uncomfortable-looking wings. No, they wear black, highly polished wing tipped shoes, purple kaftans and red stilettoes or a very dirty ragged t-shirt and oversized shorts; probably hand-me-downs from some outreach church many years ago. Or they wear blue uniforms and pack two lethal-looking guns slung low on their hips. All these angels came to my rescue and many gave me a goodbye hug and a ‘take care Tannie’ or ‘hamba khale, gogo’. These are my fellow South Africans. Not the scum that shoot you for ten rand. They held me together with their caring.
            My favourite angel, though, came skidding around the corner in a cloud of dust and burnt rubber, the smell of which hung in the air. He jumped out of his bakkie and yelled ‘Who’s the tannie with the dead Toyota battery? My ma sent me.’ I had left my hazards on for the two hours I was there and my car battery died. He was wearing the ubiquitous distressed jeans and a red t-shirt with the message ‘Shit Happens’.


© Mary Drabbe